This is the perfect side dish for many southern styles of food. I enjoyed this the most when it accompanies my “Big Easy Shrimp And Grits”. There is nothing like taking a piece of the cornbread and dipping it into a nice helping of the grits. See for my jalapeño cornbread in the blog.
For my Big Easy Shrimp And Grits recipe, click the picture of the shrimp and grits at the bottom of the blog.
- 3/4 cup enriched yellow corn meal
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- `1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 diced jalapeño peppers (seeded)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the dry ingredients and whisk well.
- Stir in the jalapeno peppers, oil and milk to moisten the batter.
- Pour the batter into a 9″ greased baking pan.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes to where the top is a golden brown.
- You can test the cornbread by sticking a toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, it is done.
For my “Big Easy Shrimp And Grits Recipe, click the picture below: